Eligibility: Education Savings Plans

You must be a U.S. resident to be eligible to open a college savings plan.

There are no income limits for college savings plans, and you can use the plan to help fund a college education for children, grandchildren or any loved one.

TIAA-CREF runs several state-sponsored 529 College Savings Plans. There are no state residency requirements regardless of the plan you select. However, some states offer state tax incentives if you use their state-sponsored plan.